Monday, November 10, 2008

Top 5 Favorite Things about the Lakes Region


After living in a place for a long time you get to know the personality of the area. In our case, New Hampshire’s Lakes Region certainly has a lot to offer. As an adult I appreciate it more than I ever did when I was a kid. Between the unforgettable summers on the lakes, the striking majesty of fall and the non-stop fun of winter skiing, I’d say there are a few things to do around these parts.

I’ve had many visitors ask me what I like most about the area. I figured it made sense to put together a top 5 list just so people have a good starting point when they set the park brake and get ready to enjoy themselves up in the lakes region.

These are my personal top 5 favorite features/things to do in the Lakes Region:

1. Hiking around Steele Hill: Having a unique location is critically important to running a New Hampshire Hotel. I’ve spent many days all over the area hiking with friends and family, and while Steele Hill’s trails might not be as high profile as Mount Morgan or Red Hill, there’s something about quietly walking through the woods and fields of our 500 acre resort that makes me fall in love with the place.

2. Driving Around the Lake: Taking a scenic drive around the lake give you a real taste for what the lakes region is all about. All the lakeside towns have their own personality. From Laconia to Wolfeboro to Meredith, each town has it’s own restaurants, shops and personalities that are worth visiting. I personally love the stretch of road between Gilford and Alton. The road runs a bit higher up the slopes along the lake and offers great views of Rattlesnake Island.

3. Sunrise over Lake Winnisquam and Lake Winnipesaukee: I don’t know any painters, but if I did I would suggest they come up and experience our sunrise. Steele Hill has a view to the east overlooking Winnisquam and Winnipesaukee. The whole scene is framed by the rolling green slopes of the Belknap Mountain range. Sometime’s, when I get a breather in the morning, I grab a cup of coffee and give myself 2 or 3 minutes just to take it all in. The view is best when there are a few clouds to reflect all the colors.

4. Taking a dip in one of our lakes: Swimming in Winnipesaukee or Winnisquam is a great way to cool off and refresh. As a kid I was always afraid of the mucky bottoms, but now that I am older I realize that these are some of the most pristine lakes around with more that a few areas where the bottom is all sand. Depending on the time of year the water can be a bit cold, but in the heart of the summer it gets plenty warm for most folks to handle.

5. Shopping at the Outlet Mall: I am not a big shopper myself, but I have to admit that my Fiancé knows a thing or two about the mall. Despite the fact that I only get down to the Tanger Outlets 3 or 4 times a year, I do appreciate having such a wide variety of affordable name brand stores so close. When the outlet malls moved in to the Exit 20 area my wardrobe definitely took a turn for the better.

There are many features that make the Lakes Region such a great place to visit. I hope my top 5 were helpful. If you can think of some good ones feel free to send them my way and I will add them to the list. Thanks again.

No comments: